What does the story of Helen's life tell us?
Well, the story of Helen's life and of so many lives like hers talks of determination and faith, perseverance and grit. And yet, these stories outright mock me. They ask me if I'd do something great with my life only if I suffered hardships? Only if I endured every second of my life? Only if I were handicapped or hopelessly unfortunate?
I asked the same questions to my audience. You could clearly see the sudden frowns and downcast eyes everywhere.
I have been very fortunate all my life. I've got every opportunity to study, draw, sing, learn so many things, we were a well to do family, my parents encouraged us to learn, grow, enjoy and flourish, I had a whole set of Encyclopedia Britannica at my disposal, an endless supply of drawing material, craft material, musical instruments, course books, story books, I never ever had to so much as ask for anything.
Did I stop growing? Did I ever take anything for granted? Did I become 'demotivated' because life was so easy for me? How did I become so fragrant without being crushed? How is it possible? Is it possible? Why not?
I know there are millions of unfortunate people in the world today. But I mostly get to meet youngsters whose parents take pains to pay for their education, make life comfortable for them, encourage them to grow in life and what not, yet they don't respond to anything around them, make no effort at all to make something useful out of their lives. This is so disheartening, so disturbing that I almost feel this deep heartache like a physical pain.
How did I respond differently? What did I think about all those things I got easily? All through those school years, everytime I picked up a book to read, a paint brush, a musical keyboard, I thought about my classmates, cousins and neighbours who didn't have these things. As I grew older, I unknowingly started feeling the same about all those millions out there who didn't have these things. And this thought propelled me to read more, paint better, make sweeter music, cycle faster, speak louder on stage and move towards larger achievements in life.
These thoughts about all those unfortunate people are what gave me the strength, determination and confidence to work harder and achieve more.
Can't we all think like this? Is it too much to ask for our own good? Why wait for a handicap, an unfortunate event, a severe loss, a great misfortune to fight against and come up in life?
Why not grasp every opportunity and take every chance and utilize it to the fullest potential? If Helen Keller could be so great with so much misfortune, just imagine what we all can be without any!
- Sadiqua Jabeen, Life Coach
No comments:
Post a Comment